- ground mince beef (approx 500g) BUT the more meat… the merrier is my lingo!
- 5 cloves garlic mince
- 1x onion chopped finely
- 1 cup shredded parmesan (add 1/2 cup more if you love cheese… it won’t hurt!!)
- 3 tablespoons parsley (dried
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (best you can shop buy unless you want to make your own…. I’m not even going to bother explaining how to do that in this recipe)
- 2 cups water (freshly boiled)
- 2 tablespoons of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste …liberally
- Cooking time – 3 minutes maximum.
- 400g chopped tin tomatoes
- a big bottle of Tomato/garlic sauce (Dolmion/ragu/whatever label)
- 1 onion finely diced and chopped so you can’t even see it! Fry this with a dab of olive oil and then add the garlic below for 2/3 minutes maximum.
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed and cooked for a few minutes with the onion.
How to cook:-
- I personally like to fry the onion for approx 3 minutes until they are golden brown then add the garlic for less than 2 minutes under a mild heat. Then take off the heat when all is golden and once cooled down mix with everything below.
- mix the meat, herbs, seasoning, parmesan, breadcrumbs and onion/garlic in a bowl. Wrap into balls, the size of a ping pong ball.
- Put in the fridge for ideally 30 minutes so they set a little.
- Take meatballs out and place into pre heated oven at 200 degrees for max of 12 minutes or until they look a LITTLE bit brown but not crazy “I can’t cook” cooked (you don’t want to over cook!!!) ** Photo below is of pre-cooked rolled balls…
- Then you add the BALLS to your tomato sauce which is made up of tomatoes from a can (yes, I didn’t stand there, crushing them with my feet), also a bottle of tomato sauce you cheat with to make lasagne sauce (or any sauce with tomato and garlic ideally) and cooked onion and always garlic extra (2 more crushed cloves).
- Photo below of cooked meatballs after being in the oven for approx 12-15 minutes at 180-200 degrees. Check the power of your ovens as some are better/stronger/wiser than others.
- Photo above of tomato sauce and meatballs BEFORE they mix!
- Let it all simmer for approx 30/40 mins on a low heat, in a huge dish and then serve that amazing food with pasta, bread or just put on a stick (the only way I could get my 3 year olds to eat the stuff!).
It tastes amazeballs and was eaten in under 5 minutes in our house (that’s including my 3 year old daughter who keeps telling us she doesn’t “eat meat” & The Captain who “hates the bolognaise sauce”. He loved this so I clearly did something right…aside from give him three children, convert to Judaism, move to HK, accept his shit…. the list is endless really. He struck gold with this cookie to be fair…. ).
Anyhow…. enjoy the recipe x