Tag Archive | sweet onion soup
Level of cooking:-
- Piss easy unless you’re just being lazy, in which case, you’re on your own. I have no sympathy for those people who say they “don’t cook”. It gets under my skin as I just don’t get how anyone can’t feed themselves!?
- 4-6 large onions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 heaped tablespoons turmeric
- 2 heaped tablespoons fenugreek (or if you don’t have this, Honey Dijon mustard works, or brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 2 litres vegetable or chicken stock (home-made or shop bought for ease)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon
- sea salt & pepper
- Peel & thinly chop the onions.
- Put onions in a large saucepan with the olive oil & season with salt & pepper. Cover the pan & cook for approx. 15-20 minutes. Only stir occasionally.
- Add the turmeric, fenugreek & mint & cook for another 5 minutes without the lid (the lid just makes everything sweat).
- Add the stock & cinnamon stick, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to low, cooking for approx. 20-30 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice & mint & season again with salt & pepper. If it needs more fenugreek, add a further teaspoon to make it sweeter (if that’s your taste). I leave the cinnamon stick in.
Despite the lack of photo, this soup should look a yellowish/waterish colour. Trust me…it tastes v. good. I dropped this round to our neighbour the other night who was dying with a cold & she ended up hogging the whole batch & not giving her family any of it (shes a mother of 2 kids… plus a husband). It tastes lovely. It’s cheap (not a word you hear in Hong Kong) & it’s sooo easy to make. I kid you not. It’s like the Iranian version of Jewish Soup (is that a contradiction in terms?) Who gives a shit…it tastes fab.
* Again, no photos because I was rushing & totally forgot. Half the soup is now in my freezer (its healthy too!) so it wont look up to scratch for a photo shoot.