Cheesy Chicken with Spinach Lasagna for kids
This dish is great for those stubborn kids (the little sods) who insist they don’t eat vegetables or chicken. Not only does this ooooooze cheese but has veg hidden deep inside.
* Photo below is the end result after its been in the oven. I started cutting it into quarters and then realised that I had to take a friggin photo. That’ll teach me to not drink while I cook. Yeh… right.
- 9 or 12x dried lasagna (depends if you want to do 3 or 4 layers)
- 70g of unsalted butter
- 5x cloves of minced garlic
- 1x large onion diced finely
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour (sieved)
- 1x teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3-4 cups of Chicken stock (I use the organic low-sodium range)
- 2x cups of Full Fat Milk, or Soya Milk if there is an issue with dairy (one of my kids met have soya)
- 1 tablespoon of ground nutmeg plus additional to spindle on top of the lasagne before putting into the oven
- 8x slices of mozzarella cheese (either ready cut into slices or buy a ball and chop up yourself)
- 1x cup of grated parmesan
- 1x teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1x teaspoon of dried oregano
- Half x teaspoon of Basil
- Sprinkle of ground black pepper
- 3 chicken breasts cooked for a maximum of 5 minutes and diced finely (you don’t want to over cook the chicken otherwise it’ll taste like rubber)
- 1x bag of frozen spinach (500g)
- 150g double cream
- Preheat the oven (ALWAYS!) before you even start cooking a thing and definitely before you start drinking. Heat to 180 degrees C.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion in the butter until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for approx 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the spinach and keep cooking for another 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in flour and salt and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil. Keep stiring!
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Season with all the herbs, including ground nutmeg and black pepper.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Add 2x slices of mozzarella cheese, torn apart on top of each layer of pasta sauce.
- Layer with 1/3 of the noodles, the cheese sauce and spindle the finely chopped chicken on top of each layer (sauce, lasagne sheet, more sauce, cheese, chicken… in that order).
- Arrange 1/3 of the noodles over the chicken, layer with 1/3 of sauce.
- Once layered 3 or 4 times, depending on how much pasta you want, add more pasta sauce to the top layer, sprinkle with parmesan, parsley and ground nutmeg.
- Bake for approx 45 minutes.
* The cheesy Spinach sauce before layering onto pasta sheets.
* The finely chopped chicken to sprinkle between every layer of lasagna.
* The final result…
* And one for the kids…
Drink for Mummy – Triple vodka shot, with fresh orange juice and a dash of Ribena. Tastes fab, Minnie & Mickey approved, and no one will ever know you’re drinking on the job…