- 225g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3x eggs
- 300g sugar
- 300ml organic vegetable oil
- 1 vanilla pod (scrape insides out)
- 225g courgettes grated (approx 1 very large courgette)
- Preheat your oven (ALWAYS!!!) to approx 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf tin with a tiny amount of olive oil (put some on a thick kitchen tissue and rub it all over the base and sides of the tin) & sieve some flour to coat all sides. This will ensure the bread doesn’t stick to your tin.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate, baking powder, cinnamon, ground nutmeg & salt all into a large mixing bowl. Stir all the ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until they are thick and then your wooden spoon, stir in your oil, vanilla and courgette.
- Add the flour mix and stir until everything is combined but try not to over mix it!
- Pour the batter into your baking tray and cook for approx 1 hour 10 minutes. If you have a strong oven, you may only need a maximum of 55-60 minutes. Bake in the middle of the oven (never on the top shelf). To make sure the bread is cooked through, use a toothpick in the middle of it. If the toothpick comes out clear (not sticky), you know your bread is ready.
- Once you have taken the bread out of the oven, let it cool for another 10 minutes and then turn it out onto a wire rack.
Job done. If you can’t make this, then there is no hope for you and you’re clearly an idiot.
One word of caution. This bread can feel oily so if you don’t like it to be too moist, cut back on the amount of oil you use. I also went organic with all the ingredients and my twins love this bread! Yes, yes…. I’m fabulous.