Chicken with RoseWater, Hazelnuts & honey
Ok…so… Dinner a few nights ago was OFF THE CHART.
If you want to try something, which in my opinion was piss easy…. try this dish called …erm…
“SPECIAL CHICKEN IN ROSEWATER WITH CRUSHED HAZELNUTS & HONEY” :-
- Buy approx. 4 packs of good fat chicken legs (2 per person) and big juicy thighs (if they are very big, 1 thigh is enough per person … unless you’ve got some real fatties at your table, then pile it high!). I bought enough to feed 8 people well so use your initiative.
- Wash the chicken pieces thoroughly & preheat the oven to 190 degrees. Cover the chicken with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil & season well . Cook in the oven at 190 degrees for approx. 25-30 mins. Then take the chicken out of the oven and baste/brush with a pre-mixed paste Rosewater (3x tbsp), loosley chopped, slightly toasted hazelnuts (approx. 300 grams) and honey (5x tbsp).
- Put back in the oven for another 20-30 mins at 180 degrees until the chicken is cooked.
- Check the chicken is cooked by pricking the leg of one of the pieces with a fork to see if the juices run clear. If they do, take the chicken pieces out of the oven, cover with some foil loosely and prepare the side dishes to accompany this meal. * n.b. Its quicker to have the side dishes prepared while the chicken is cooking in the oven.
SIDE DISH – Couscous with garlic, lemon & parsley
- Use 2x 250 gram packs of couscous & cook according to the pack instructions. The key to keeping couscous light is to keep fluffing it with a fork after minimal cooking time.
- I then fry 3 cloves of garlic with a knob of butter & add the juice of 1x lemon. Fry for a couple of minutes on a medium heat & then mix into the now cooling couscous.
- I then add approx. 300 grams of raisins/sultanas (pre-soaked in water for about 20 minutes to make them plump). Then drain the raisins before pouring into the couscous mix.
- Mix all the ingredients in the couscous and season well with some salt & pepper. Add 2x teaspoons of fresh or dry Parsley.
- Dish up right away!
OTHER SIDE DISHES TO ACCOMPANY THIS INCLUDE:
- Sweet potatoes (not peeled) chopped into small discs, layered (like you would with potato gratin) cooked in the oven with a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, seasoned well with salt & pepper & covered in approx. 500 grams of double cream. Cook for 40-50 minutes.
- A crisp salad made of rocket leaves, tomatoes (chopped into small cubes), cucumbers (peeled & chopped into small cubes), cubes of feta cheese (enough for a salad but not too much that it overwhelms you), bulgur wheat (read pack instructions to cook properly) & 1/2 a red onion (finely chopped). Put a dressing on the side of olive oil (3 tbsp), with Balsamic vinegar (3 tbsp), red wine vinegar (3 tbsp), pinch of table salt/pepper, pinch of dried parsley, Dijon mustard (1.5 tbsp). Be sure to give the salad dressing a good shake every time before you pour onto your salad…otherwise it will come out as more olive oil & less vinegar…ugh!
* Accompany with a crisp White wine or Rose. Bliss!
You can also baste uncooked fresh chicken with the Rosewater/ chopped hazelnuts & honey paste & put in the freezer to cook at a later date.
** I will add photos next time I make this as I forgot (hazards of getting drunk while cooking).